Tuesday, December 20, 2005
DTS will finally demonstrate its DTS-HD Master Aaudio format at CES 2006 in Las Vegas. Its initial announcement came in October of 2004. Here are the highlights from the press release:
- DTS Digital Surround (DTS' core 5.1 technology) has been selected as mandatory audio technology for both Blu-ray Disc (BD) and High Definition Digital Versatile Disc (HD-DVD).
- DTS-HD has been selected as an optional feature in both formats
- DTS-HD is a set of extensions to DTS' Coherent Acoustics audio coding system which encompasses DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES 6.1 discrete, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24.
- DTS-HD™ is the only technology that will deliver lossless surround sound for these new disc formats, ensuring the highest quality audio performance available in the new standards.
- As a mandatory technology in the next generation standards, a DTS decoder will be built into every HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc player.
- One single DTS-HD datastream on a disc can carry everything from standard DTS 5.1 playable on virtually all existing 280 million plus DTS decoders, all the way to lossless for next-generation systems.