Monday, October 02, 2006
Chipmunk AV Controller is a .NET Windows application capable of controlling audio visual equipment, home cinemas and integrating with general automation set-ups. Chipmunk enables the easy creation of macros and commands to control devices via plugins. Chipmunk can also receive incoming events from equipment. Chipmunk incorporates a Lua scripting engine which has been integrated with Microsoft's .NET Framework, enabling users to interact with and extend core functionality. A simple plugin API and software development kit makes it easy for .NET developers to create their own plugins using any .NET language such as VB.NET or C#.
This new release targets the latest Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework and comes with an improved user interface, logging manager, and three new plugins. The new logging manager means that Chipmunk can now log incoming events, outgoing commands, and system status messages. The plugin software development kit has been simplified making plugin development even easier. Chipmunk now comes with ten plugins pre-installed:
- RS232 Serial Plugin - allows serial controllable equipment to be managed by Chipmunk
- USB-UIRT Infrared Plugin - supports the USB-UIRT universal infrared transceiver by Jon Rhees
- RedRat3 Infrared Plugin - supports the RedRat3 USB infrared transceiver
- GC-100 Plugin - supports the Global Caché GC-100 network device with infrared, serial, relay and digital input connectivity. Our latest plugin now supports the GC-IRL device for infrared learning capability.
- Web Server Plugin - enables Chipmunk to be controlled from any web browser. Also includes web-enabled control of Windows Media Player
- Time Scheduler Plugin - enabling periodic, daily, weekly, and monthly scheduling of events
- Remote Control Server Plugin - offering wireless network control over mobile devices
- AppController Plugin - enables the control of other Windows applications via Windows messages
- X10 CM17A Firecracker Plugin - offering support for this X10 serial to wireless module
- On Screen Display Plugin (now supports HTML rendering and the display of online content)
Chipmunk also comes with a drag-and-drop remote control designer, universal software remote control for the Desktop and Pocket PC, and sample plugin source code for developers. The 30-day evaluation can be downloaded from www.chipmunkav.com/downloads. To coincide with this release, we have also launched Chipmunk AV Controller Forums.